FAQs About Renting

If you are looking to rent a property, you may have some questions about renting and what is involved. We have listed some commonly asked questions that may help you. Alternatively, you can find further information on NSW Fair Trading or Tenants NSW information, advice and advocacy.

How do I apply for a residential property with Centaline Properties?
If you have inspected one of our properties and would like to apply, you can ask for a printed tenancy application form or download a copy on the link below. The application form provides a list of identification requirements and supporting documents required when submitting the application form. To ensure that your application is processed promptly, please ensure that the application form is fully completed and all supporting documents are submitted. Incorrect or incomplete applications will delay the approval process and may result in having the application declined and/or fail to secure the property.

What are the upfront costs once my application form has been approved?
Once your tenancy application form has been approved, you are required to pay a holding deposit which is equivalent to one week’s rent within 24 hours of your application being approved. If a holding deposit is not paid, the property will continue to be marketed and offered to other prospective tenants. Prior to signing the lease, you will be required to pay two week’s rent in advance in which the holding deposit will be paid towards the first week’s rent. A bond, equivalent to four week’s rent will also be required to be paid and lodge with the Rental Bond Board.

How do I lodge bond?
At Centaline Properties, we have adopted to lodge rental bonds online which allows prospective tenants to pay bond online by Visa, Mastercard or BPAY. Rental Bonds Online (RBO) is an online service to lodge and refund bond money and allows a secure and efficient transaction over the internet without signing and sending paper forms. Once your tenancy application has been approved, we will send an email inviting you to create an account with RBO and lodge your bond for the property you’ve applied for.

What is a condition report and how do I complete the report?
A condition report describes the condition of the property prior to you moving in. Your property manager will complete the condition report and will provide you with a copy at the time of signing the lease agreement. Inspect the property carefully and complete the condition report and if possible, provide photos. The condition report must be returned within 7 days, and a copy will be provided to you for your record. The condition report is an important record of the condition of the property when the tenancy commenced and may be used as evidence of the state of repair or general condition if there is a dispute particularly about the return of the rental bond money and any damage to the property.

What bills am I responsible for?
Where the property is separately metered, you will be liable for electricity, gas (if available at the property) and water usage.

How do I pay rent?
Your rent can be paid by cash or cheque to any ANZ Bank or direct transfer into the nominated bank account listed on your tenancy agreement. Please note that rent must be paid in advance at all times and non-payment of rent is a breach of the tenancy agreement.

How do I report repairs and maintenance?
As a tenant, it is your responsibility to make sure the property is maintain in a good condition and attend to minor updates including replacing light bulbs, changing the smoke detector batteries, general cleaning including windows and routine garden maintenance such as watering, mowing and weeding. For non-urgent repairs or maintenance, please send us an email along with photos of the issues to info@centaline.net.au. If it’s an urgent repair, you need to notify us right away to arrange for the matter to be rectified as soon as possible, or you may check your tenancy agreement for the details of the nominated tradesperson to contact.

Can I transfer my lease agreement to another person?
If you wish to transfer your tenancy agreement to another or sub-let the property, you must submit your request in writing to your property manager for approval from the landlord. You will need to provide documents from the prospective tenant or sub-tenant that they have the financial ability to meet rent payments, is of good character and other supporting evidence similar to the process of applying for a property. If you do not have the owner’s approval to transfer the lease or sub-let, you are in breach of the tenancy agreement.

Can I have pets in the property?
You will need to seek approval from the landlord if pets are permitted in the property, and provide details of the pet such as type, breed and age. If you are residing in a strata scheme such as units, apartments, villas or townhouses, the strata scheme by-laws will outline whether pets are permissible or if approval is required from the owners corporation. It is recommended before applying for a property to ask the leasing agents if pets are allowed.